Saturday, September 16, 2006

This is the beginning of a beautiful blog....


Why do I feel compelled to create a feminist blog? My main reason is (that Dr. Tapley is making me) that I feel that this blog will create a great place for me to learn and, for once, to actually get to know some of my fellow students. In this week's reading, Rhodes suggests that the participation of any feminist, whether she be second wave or third wave, online can and will help to grow space for women to write and engage with other feminist writings, away from the traditionally stifling male-dominated world of print. In this new space women will be heard by each other as well as become more visible to the rest of the world. I want my blog to be a part of this new online arena. In Rhodes' article, Brail states that the more women that post online the harder we will be to ignore. I agree with this statement because in any movement, higher numbers equals more progress, even if the progress is simply that the movement becomes more visible. I hope my blog does not only enhance my understanding of feminist thought, but also, through the use of images, sounds, and the critical analysis of popular culture, creates more visibility for the the feminist movement by the addition of my, and our, voice.

My name is Kelly by the way, and t
his is Odie, my dog... oh, and that's not me with the gun.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

As tempting as the "ambiguity" of the internet is, I agree with you that it is important to identify as woman on the web. Even if it is possible for text to be gendered on the web it may not always be the case. Try to fill out any form or whatnot on the internet and "male" will always show up as the default sex. Therefore, why wouldn't we, being schooled as we are, immeadiately assume an ambiguous identity to be male? This may be very second wave of me but labeling internet spaces as "woman" or as "lesbian" or anything else sends the message that these people are out there and will participate in the WWW just like the stereotypical white, middle-class, computer geek dude. I just don't know if the internet is the place to be ambiguous. There's no graph of the internet that says a certain percentage is feminist. All it is, is me or you randomly coming across webpages and getting a "first impression" from them. If this first impression isn't blatantly feminist I think feminism will no longer be seen as an existing threat. With the internet being as big as it is, we need to be as obvious and as out there as we can.